East Lake Real Estate
New homes co-mingle with older bungalows and Tudor cottages in this most eastern of Atlanta’s neighborhoods. Bounded by Pharr Road and other streets (the Oakwood and Kirkwood communities) on the North; 1st, 2nd, and Meadowlake Drive on the West; and the city limits of Atlanta on the East (Candler Rd) and South (Glenwood Avenue), this small neighborhood is dominated, in both geography and history, by the famed East Lake Golf Club.
Forever associated with the legendary golfer Bobby Jones, the Atlanta Athletic Club purchased land in 1904 on the site of an old amusement park and opened the golf course in 1908. The courses were enhanced and improved throughout the decades.
However, starting in the ’60’s, white flight erupted here as in other Atlanta neighborhoods. The Atlanta Athletic Club pulled up stakes and followed its members to its present home in Duluth. An unyielding group of members purchased the original course and clubhouse in 1968 and began operating them as the East Lake Country Club.
Things continued to worsen until 1993, when a local foundation bought the club, intending to restore it as a tribute to Bobby Jones and others. This became a catalyst for renewing the whole community. For example, all profits from the club support the East Lake Community Foundation. Among its accomplishments is the replacement of a notorious housing project with the Villages of East Lake, which surrounds the public Charlie Yates Golf Course. East Lake Commons is another award-winning housing initiative just south of the neighborhood.
In addition to the Golf Club association, this neighborhood does have its own civic association, the East Lake Neighbors Community Association (ELNCA).